Anxiety treatment in Sydney
Anxiety and fear are normal reactions to stressful situations. In our modern world, these processes which are designed to keep us safe can malfunction and end up causing us great harm. Problems with anxiety symptoms can be incredibly distressing and debilitating. The good news is that modern psychological science understands anxiety well and has discovered ways to outsmart the debilitating cycle of anxiety. There are effective ways to treat anxiety symptoms. You can access this treatment at our practice.
Some of the most common anxiety disorders are:
- Panic disorder: Sudden bursts of extreme anxiety that are accompanied by symptoms like a pounding heart, sweaty palms, and shortness of breath or nausea.
- Agoraphobia: Anxiety about being in places or situations from which it is difficult to escape should a panic attack occur.
- Social phobia (also called social anxiety disorder): Strong fear of social interaction or performance situations because of the potential for embarrassment of humiliation.
- Generalized anxiety disorder: Long periods of uncontrollable worry about everyday issues or events, which is typically accompanied by feelings of fatigue, restlessness or difficulty concentrating.
- Posttraumatic stress disorder: Recurrent and intrusive memories of a trauma, feelings of emotional numbing and detachment, and increases in emotional arousal, such as irritability and disturbed sleep, resulting from a previous traumatic event.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: Repeated thoughts, images or impulses that the person feels are inappropriate, and repetitive behaviours, designed to reduce the anxiety generated by the thoughts.
- Perinatal anxiety: Experiencing excessive, impairing anxiety or an anxiety disorder during pregnancy, following childbirth or in the first year of having a child.
Psychologists at our Bondi Junction practice have extensive experience and the most up-to-date training in providing effective treatment for anxiety disorders. We also provide treatment for anxiety and stress associated with difficult life stages such as completing the HSC, searching for or changing jobs, entering the workforce following childbirth, leaving a relationship and more.
Book now or ask us more about how we can help: